With holiday travel right around the corner the spread of bed bugs is at its peak. Here at HowToPest.com, we want to give you all the tools to keep you safe along your travels.
There is a sense of security when you check into a crisp clean hotel room. Your first instinct is to roll your suitcase in and then fall into that fluffy bed while doing snow angels in the sheets but even the crème of the crop, 5-star hotels deal with bed bugs so never let your guard down!
Here are the best ways to make sure the bed bugs don’t follow you home:
- If you are concerned about where you are traveling to, you will want to pretreat your luggage with a professional grade bed bug spray like this one. Once your luggage is completely dry, it will be safe to pack your clothes in.
- Upon entering your hotel room, roll your suitcase into the bathroom. Bed bugs don’t like the cold hard flooring so your suitcase will be safe.
- Do a mattress inspection. You will want to pull back the sheets and take a look at the seams of the mattress and box springs. The seams are a favorite hiding spot of bed bugs!
- If you plan to transfer your clothes to the dresser drawer, you will want to do a quick inspection there as well. Open the drawers and take a look inside at the seams. Make sure there are no rub marks, droppings or live bed bugs.
For a detailed guide of how to inspect a room for bed bugs watch this video:
What do bed bug bites look like?
Bed bug bites are easily identified by their linear pattern where your body meets the bed. Flea bites will tend to be concentrated around the ankles and mosquito bites will be sporadic throughout the body.
What to do if you have been bitten by bed bugs in a hotel room:
- DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING FROM THE ROOM!
- Contact the hotel front desk immediately
- Do an inspection of the mattress to try to determine if there is any indication of bed bugs.
How to get rid of bed bugs:
We know you are not going to stop traveling because of bed bugs so we at HowToPest.com want to make sure you stay safe. HowToPest.com has professional grade bed bug killing products for you! Click here to shop all bed bug sprays and concentrates.